Free tips on playing the guitar.

Friday, March 03, 2006

Road to King of the Blues 2

I recorded my practice again for the Guitar Center King of the Blues competition. The first round is coming up on March 21.

16th Note Swing Funky Cool Shuffle Blues (What a name....)

It's got a good feel, but I think I should've played the major 3rd more instead of the minor 3rd. I think I can make this work. It's all about the feel that you can groove to.

Big Band Blues

Nice laid back feel, but it's a little too tame for my taste.

Chicago Blues

Very standard sounding tune. Pretty boring to play to.

Cool Shuffle Blues

Typical Stevie Ray Vaughan kind of shuffle. I think a lot of people will choose this one. I'm staying away from it.

Jazz Swing Blues

If I had the time and the patience to figure out all those cool chords in this, it should sound pretty interesting playing over them, but I'm too lazy and there are plenty of other tunes to choose from here.

Laid Down Blues

This one is a possible choice, but I'd rather choose something with more upbeat and funky feel.

Minor Baby Blues

I don't enjoy playing this one, but I think I sound pretty good playing it. It's a kind of tune that if you happen to be "ON", you will be able to play some inspired stuff, but if you are not, then it will sound boring.

Rockin' Blues with Back Beat

This one is fun to play. I love the funky groove. It's definitely one of top candidates for the competition.

Second Line Blues

This is a evil sounding blues and I like it a lot. I like what I played at the end after around the 3 minutes mark until the end. It may be little too crazy for the judges. Who knows...

Slow Shuffle Blues

I recorded this last time and I still like it a lot, but I'm kind of getting sick of it since I played it too much.

Stone Blues

It's got that Rolling Stones feel as the title suggests. It's little too laid back for me. I feel like an old man playing this one.

After I narrow down the choices, I have to work on what to do with the intro. I sound horrible on most of the tunes starting out. I was reading the rules for the contest and they will be judging the contestants on stage presence along with technique and originality. I'd better work out some crazy moves shooting fire works from the top of the guitar neck or something. If anybody had a chance to listen to all of these, I would really appreciate your feedback about which one I should go with. Always, PLAY GUITAR NOW!

7 Comments:

Blogger Guitar_Geek said...

So are you letting your competition know what they're up against? You got balls my friend.

3/06/2006 6:58 PM

 
Blogger Retired Rock Star Wannabe said...

Bring them on!

3/06/2006 8:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like that Second Line Blues, it sounds fresh and upbeat. I think that one is the best as far as feel and originality goes. And the guitar sounds awesome!! Good luck!

3/08/2006 11:10 PM

 
Blogger Retired Rock Star Wannabe said...

Well, thank you very much. I hope you don't mind me editing your comments to hide my true identity! You are right, that one sounds different. Choices, choices, choices....

3/08/2006 11:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your "Cool Shuffle Blues".

Could you please tell me how to play the first 25 seconds on guitar.

Thanks dor your help in advance.

6/13/2006 11:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.master-the-guitar.com, www.Master-the-Guitar.com . Want to learn to Play the guitar in a weekend. Geoff reveals Everything you will ever need to know about how to learn the guitar in a weekend revealed. Register to receive the details by return.Geoff also reveals a resources website where you can find all the latest Guitar equipments and Music in one location at. http://www.guitarist-resources.com

2/19/2007 4:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ive entered the competition to iv narrowed it down to three basically because im so nervous i cant figure the key to some of em i havent played on stage in over two years.sounds like you got things figured out GOOD LUCK

2/21/2007 1:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home