Free tips on playing the guitar.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

In the Beginning

I was gonna do more guitar playing tips today, but I'm feeling lazy. I'll write about how I got stared playing the guitar instead.

It all happened back in the late 80's. A friend of mine let me borrow a Van Halen live video called Live Without A Net. It contained a guitar solo section about 10 minutes long where Eddie Van Halen played some of the most amazing things that I had ever heard or seen on the electric guitar or any musical instrument for that matter.



All I wanted to do was to be able to play the guitar like that and that was the beginning of the rest of my life. It takes something special to motivate a person to start doing something new and that 10 minute guitar solo was it for me. It's out on DVD now, so I should probably pick it up.





I am not too impressed with what he's been doing for the last 10 years or so, but I am forever thankful for the inspiration that he's given me.

3 Comments:

Blogger monotonous said...

altho i am a novice at the whole rock scene i have heard a few van halen songs.jump,360 etc the songs seem pretty ordinary tho it is said that eddy and david lee were amazin.well i better enlarge my rock education to appreciate them.

5/15/2006 1:54 AM

 
Blogger Retired Rock Star Wannabe said...

I guess their songs are pretty ordinary, but his guitar solos are something else! Check out Girl Gone Bad from 1984 album.

5/15/2006 2:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really nice to read a story about how someone started to play guitar.
I started playing the guitar after listening Nirvana for the first time, it really gave me the thrills. I know Kurt Cobain isn't the most talented guitar player at technique's, but the way he plays the guitar with feeling and compassion, simple chords, incredible lyrics, that's just unbeatable. (and just that you know I'm not one of the fans who knows just one song of them and worships Kurt Cobain on a childish way:p)

oh and great site you've got here, really good lessons with explanations everybody can understand, I play guitar for about 4 years now, I never have taken any lessons, but now I want to learn more theoretic stuff, reading notes and stuff and your lessons are a great help to start with!

Sorry if my english isn't that good, I'm from Belgium you see:p

Bart.

3/07/2008 9:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home